Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 6 Cruise Gwen

We were smart enough to order room service breakfast to wake us up the next morning. We got our stuff together and made our way to the meeting place. Apparently “Magnificent Ephuses” and the “Virgin Mary” excursions were well advertised. Beth and I were on bus 27! Ephuses didn’t leave much to the imagination. It was a different and the same as Athens because they were Roman ruins. This is where my camera battery died. Poor camera made it all the way through Athens, the party night, and most of today without taking a charge. Such an awesome camera! Thank you SO much Mom and Dad!
It seemed so brief a visit to Turkey. I’m sure it has much more to offer. Beth has a strong conviction that the Turkish government with really trying to pull in more tourists. The land was beautiful. I felt like Turkey was a very very young America with an exponential urban growth rate. They still hand weave carpets, and have a hard time finding girls who want to sit in front of a loom all day to work on the same carpet for 2 and a half year. I know I couldn’t handle it knowing how much more is out there in the world.
We got back on the boat immediately because our tour did not include lunch. By 2:30 I was the closest I’ve been to having an episode. Beth stuck with me and made sure we made a bee line to the buffet. Afterward, Beth took a nap and I almost finished my book. We got up for dinner at the French le Bistro. We indulged in a half bottle of Clos du Bois Chardonnay wine with dinner. I had muscles, rack of lamb with plenty of mint jelly, and crepe suzette but we missed the flambé show. Beth had onion soup, rack of lamb, and vanilla crème brulee. I would have to say...it was some of the best food we had on the boat so far. Typically this should have cost somewhere around $150...we paid $45, including gratuity. AMAZING. Afterward, we saw Second City and then bumped into Hencel Hill and Hazel Hill and sat talked and drank till 2 am.

No comments: